Friday, February 1, 2013

Recent material learned in class

From class on Jan. 28, 2013.

In the lecture we learned a few things. We learned a new word and the word was silhouette. The definition of silhouette from the website daily writing tips.com, is the outline of someone or something. We also learned a new grammar tip and this tip regards to making a sentence in a story less confusing. The proper way to make the story less confusing is to edit it. During my experience in working for the Middlesex County College newspaper Quo Vadis, I would copy edit stories and there were times when I found statements to be very confusing or too wordy. In order to change it, I would break up the sentences. If words were mispelled I would fix them so the story made sense. The story had to flow properly so the reader is not lost when reading the piece. We also learned the meaning of the word nut graph. I remember hearing the phrase in the past, but did not have it fully explained to me. A nut graph is your purpose for writing the story. Nut graphs need to be present in every story in order to make it a big hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment